Friday, December 22, 2023

 I went out to write last night (three peppy drafts!), then came home and bounced up to my study . . . only to discover that, while I'd been out, Tom had removed the ironing board that had been standing there for six years as a temporary shelf, and installed this beauty . . . a custom-made desk tailored to fit elegantly into the odd-shaped slot, and even with a little drawer, painted a charming green, and all my things arranged tidily on the surface.


The early-morning photo doesn't do it justice. It's simple and beautiful and gorgeously made. I am so pleased.

So today I'll have the fun of putting things into that drawer, of sitting down and doing a little work in my little room. It's is the tiniest sort of haven, hardly space to swing a cat (as they say, though who would want to?). But now I have two custom-made desks--one for standing, one for sitting--plus the small blue reading chair I found on the street and the midcentury straight chair (from a set rehabbed by Tom) you see in the photo. I have a rug barely large enough for a yoga mat, shelves of poetry books, beloved pictures hanging on the walls, and a violin murmuring in her case. I have two windows that look out over the back garden, and a door that latches. Yes, the only closet in the room is full of clothes because we don't have a usable closet in our bedroom. But that is a small matter. It is a sweet thumbprint of a room, and I love to be in it.

I've also got a bunch of other things to do: a trip to the fish market to buy smoked scallops for Christmas lunch; grocery-shopping for salad ingredients (my assignment from my mother-in-law); prepping three different salads for quick assembly at her house (roasting carrots, boiling beets, sautéing peppers). 

I will be taking lots of breaks from cooking to sit at this desk.


2 comments:

Carlene M Gadapee said...

It is beautiful.
A space, even a corner, of one's own is so important to one's sense of Self, I think.

Take good care-- and enjoy your space.

Daisy said...

Your description of this lovely little room with this beautiful new desk reminds me of the the Richard Rogers lyrics from the musical Cinderella. It's a smile creating image.

In my own little corner
In my own little chair
I can be whatever I want to be
On the wing of my fancy
I can fly anywhere
And the world will open its arms to me