Monday, August 7, 2023

Today Vox Populi is featuring my poem "Play Clothes," which I'm pretty sure I mentioned to you earlier this summer. It one of the many poems that have arisen over the past couple of years from prompts at my Thursday-night writers' salon. The salon has revolutionized my thinking about writing, my thinking about revision, my thinking about teaching, not to mention my thinking about community. I have changed from an isolate to a socializer, and yet my poems are still an essence of my private self. Many of the poems that began at the salon, including this one, appear in the new manuscript. And I think they are strong. Even if no one takes this ms, I'm convinced they are strong.

It's interesting to exist at a moment of self-confidence. Of course I could be a better poet, and I'm always striving. But I know I'm a pretty good poet. Family history presses me to hide my light under a barrel. To be dour. To be suspicious and disappointed. In the process I may also kick over the lantern and ignite the barrel and burn to death. But today, on this Monday in mid-August, I do not want to be dour, suspicious, or disappointed. I do not want to crouch in a smoldering barrel. I like this poem I shared with you. I'm proud I wrote the first draft, proud that I revised it to what you see. I plan to write many, many more poems that I am proud of.


2 comments:

nancy said...

Perfect summer poem!!! I hope that children still are able to experience "the indifferent

beauty of dirt." How wonderful were those Augusts filled with freedom that we didn't recognize as such -- that just "were."

Ang said...

Love the memories that this poem evokes!

I still have a hierarchy of clothes that comes from the frugal values learned without knowing in childhood. It gives me pleasure to come in and take off my clean dirt clothes and hang them in the shed for another day.

I'm glad that you've reached a moment of self-confidence. That is a beautiful thing.

You have "contributed a verse".