Friday, September 16, 2022

Last night I had my first deep night's sleep in days, and this morning I woke without a fever. Though I'm still congested and slightly sore-throaty, I feel like the blanket of illness is finally lifting. What a bizarre ordeal this has been. Yet while it's been unpleasant, it's also been interesting. Maybe this is just the writer talking, but I always like to learn new things, and now I have.

An illness powerful enough to create a pandemic is by definition a brutal one, and with Covid I have been sick enough to smell that medieval stench. But because I was vaccinated I was not in fear. So I was aware of both sides: what was actually happening as opposed to what could have been happening. I'm not writing very well yet (like, actually, physically, not typing very well yet), so I don't have the wherewithal to talk fully about this. But specifics--the peculiar placement of the sore throat, a sensation of bodily indifference as opposed to bodily fatigue--were cues to what, without vaccination, could have gone very wrong.

3 comments:

nancy said...

So glad you've reached the "on the mend" side of things. I felt the "body's indifference" when I had cancer. It is very different from just fatigue. I look forward to seeing how you write about it.

Ruth said...

body's indifference struck me as well because it is so accurate

Ang said...

Dawn I'm so glad that you have turned that corner to recovery.
I look forward to reading about your new perspectives on illness. The body's indifference isn't something I can really understand even with my own near death experience.
I remember you telling me straight up that childbirth was a life and death trip. That I get.
These cool nights are a delight! Enjoy!