Tuesday, September 6, 2022

It rained all day yesterday, and all night, and now it is still raining--a slow, steady, inexorable rain, of the sort we haven't had since last spring. As a result, our family collapsed into a thorough holiday: naps and games and reading and idle chat, punctuated by a trip into town for oysters and poutine, and then the season's first fire in the wood stove. No shed building, the bare minimum of housework . . . it was an excellent day for underachievers.

Today T will go back to work, and I'll gird my loins for groceries and some actual housework, but P and I will probably still loll around together a fair amount. He departs at dawn tomorrow, and after that I'll really get back to business. I've got to pull together a syllabus for a Sunday-afternoon class, and dig into a new editing stack, and catch up with emails, and so on and so on. The usual looming stuff.

But here's some news: over the weekend I received an invitation to read in November at Warren Community College in northwestern New Jersey. The series is run by the poet BJ Ward, and it's got a long history of big-name features . . . Joyce Carol Oates, Yusef Komunyakaa, Philip Levine, Mary Karr, Stephen Dunn, Paul Muldoon . . . that sort of luminary. Needless to say, I'm thrilled. Transportation and timing will be a challenge, but I think I can overcome them. The event is a significantly big deal for me--I mean, an ample honorarium, a hotel room! Golly! I am so unaccustomed to this sort of thing.

3 comments:

Carlene Gadapee said...

How exciting to be invited to read in that series!!
Do you know if it'll be done virtually as well?

And yay for rain. We, too, are still soaking...

Dawn Potter said...

Looks like it might be recorded; they've got a link to a YouTube channel. I'll keep you posted.

Ruth said...

Oh how splendiferous!

Hope to be able to " see and hear" you