Wednesday, September 7, 2022

A flurry of goodbyes, a rush to the bus station, and now the boy is heading back into his world and I am sitting blearily on the couch attempting to prepare myself for some semblance of productivity. I've got editing to do, and a work call at noon, and so much piled-up housework and laundry, and the sodden bean patch to deal with, and and and. It was a lovely week with P, but also the last hurrah of summer. Now all of the autumn pressures suddenly loom large . . . so much teaching and traveling. I hope I can manage to keep myself together.

First, though, T and I are going into town for pizza and a jazz show tonight. A small comfortable date, just us, nobody else to worry over, and sleeping in our own bed afterward. I am jangled right now, as you can tell . . . work fret, yes, but also why does it continue to be so hard to watch a child go away? This always happens, it always will happen, I am accustomed to it, I am glad my sons have competent and satisfying adult lives, I like living alone with T. But the moment of separation is always like picking a scab and watching it start to bleed.


4 comments:

nancy said...

Wow - great photograph!
Now that I am retired, I have no more excuses, so I am venturing out to a local poetry group this afternoon at the library. I will be sharing at least one of your poems : )

Dawn Potter said...

Oooh, let me know what poem you shared!

nancy said...

The electricity went off at the library (and surrounding towns), so Poetry Circle has been postponed to next week! I plan to share "Waterloo" and "About Mothers."

nancy said...

I also just got Barbara Kingsolver's "How to Fly (In Ten Thousand Easy Lessons)" from the library. (I didn't know she wrote poetry.) A few of the poems resonate.