Tuesday, August 23, 2022

We got an inch and half of rain last night . . . an inch and a half! What a blessing. I went out last night to our poetry group and kept getting distracted by the sound of downpour through the open windows, by the glint of drops under the streetlights. And then, later, in bed: to lie in the dark and listen to rain thrumming on the roof . . . that was the best sort of lullaby.

Today, I'll be back to desk work, but I hope to spend some time in the refreshed gardens as well. It's too soon to believe that our weather pattern has changed: I've got all kinds of transplanting plans, if only I could trust in rainfall. But at least this storm will be a temporary revival. Even before the rain, my tomato crop was starting to surge, so this afternoon I'll cook my first batch of sauce, and maybe freeze peppers too. The beans are busy and the kale is leafy and the cucumbers are prickly, and I have a ridiculous amount of basil. All this, with no real rain. Imagine what's about to happen now!

* * *

I've got a new poem, "About Mothers," up at Vox Populi.

And I want to remind you about this Saturday's online Frost Place class with Ian Ramsey: "The Path of Poetry: Words and Practices to Carry Us through Challenging Times." Cost is only $20; $30 with a plus-one. I'll be there, writing with you.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

I'm waiting impatiently for Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Good morning! I found you through Instagram and Maine Writers. I’d like to know more about poetry groups—I was recently introduced to the idea while traveling and thought, ‘This what I’ll create back home.’ Does yours allow guest visitors? Thanks! @mariancaiem

nancy said...

What a perfectly constructed, moving poem. I will hold the image of "lifting his memory into my arms" in my mind and heart today.

Dawn Potter said...

Ruth: Me too!

Nancy: Thank you so much! I've been amazed at the reaction to this small poem. I wonder why people seem to especially like it.

Marian: Re my poetry group: Ours is closed and by invitation only. (I'm a fairly new member; it's been active for decades, I think, but seems to hew to privacy.) MWPA does have listings for drop-in groups, which would probably be your best bet.