Monday, April 25, 2022

I spent most of yesterday in the gardens: planting, weeding, cultivating, watering; also bagging sticks, restacking firewood, moving stones. There's still much to be done, but I caught up with much of it. As you can see, the garden boxes are thriving. I took the cold frame off the lettuce (front box), and in the back box you can see the enthusiastic garlic.

Tulips are opening everywhere. Above is a modern variety; below are two photos of species tulips: older, hardier varieties, often very small, with elegant colors and shapes. They thrive even in terrible soil, and the bulbs are long-lasting. 



And here is my newest hellebore, glowing outside my back door.


Today the computer (yet again) is supposed to go into the shop, so you may or may not hear from me tomorrow morning. Imagine me housecleaning and gardening and reading the Aeneid and cooking chili.
 

1 comment:

Ang said...

Beautiful early garden photos. I discovered species tulips only in the last years.
100 miles north, our first daffodils just opening. Every year is different, but always a great pleasure!!!