Thursday, February 25, 2021

I got no writing done yesterday, but I did get a lot of exercise: first, my early-morning core class, then a beach walk with Paul, and finally a late afternoon neighborhood walk with my neighbor. It was a brisk late winter day, temperatures in the high 40s, bare trees and high rolling waves silhouetted sharply against the matte overcast sky. Everywhere, dogs pranced. Near the beach Paul and I glimpsed a pair of red-tailed hawks wheeling and diving. Raptor courting is in full swing.

Today will be another warmish day, but breezier and sunny. Maybe I'll be able to open a window or two, at least briefly, to air out the winter funk. I'm still trying to catch up on my electrical backlog, so I'll be vacuuming and baking bread and going to meetings. And I'll be trying out my new sewing machine! . . . a surprise gift from my dear friend Richard. Paul is quite excited about this new arrival and is itching to learn to use it. So I told him we'd start off by teaching him to make some throw pillows for his future apartment.

What else is going on? I've started rereading Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters. I'm relearning a Bach violin concerto. For last night's dinner I sautéed pollock and finished it with a Meyer lemon glaze and also served roasted potatoes and a broccoli, garlic, feta, and tomato salad. For dessert I made orange ice cream and rosemary and lemon shortbread. For tonight I think I'm going to make bean enchiladas. 

Another full day with great electricity!

No comments: