Friday, February 26, 2021

Finally I am caught up with all of my electrical tasks. So today, maybe, might I be able to work on poems? Given the recent pattern of events, I'm not counting on it. But maybe?

We had a lot of wind and melt yesterday, and I spotted some sprouts popping up along my house foundation: tulip and scylla shoots and the tips of garlic. February! In Maine! And green things! This still seems so bizarre to me, though I know our southern coastal weather is entirely different from northern inland Harmony's. I'm not deluded into believing it's spring yet: temperatures are plummeting at night, and we've still got a snowpack. But the tough little plants are stirring.

This morning I'll take my yoga class, and then I'll work on some Frost Place planning. Otherwise, I don't have too many preconceived notions about the day. I do think we'll have minestrone for dinner; I've got a passel of root vegetables kicking around, waiting to be souped. Last night's bean enchiladas came out really well. I filled small flour tortillas with a mixture of kidney beans, corn, hot and sweet peppers, onions, and garlic, plus spices. As the base sauce, I used the roasted green tomato puree I made with last fall's unripened crop. It was perfect: just as good as a salsa verde made with tomatillos. I love being able to rescue so many green tomatoes; ripening is such a crap shoot in Maine.

No comments: