Saturday, August 8, 2020

As it turned out, I had two poems accepted yesterday, at two different journals. But my lucky Friday isn't quite taking the edge off the horrible early-morning dream I just woke up from, in which I was summoned to a hotel in Amsterdam to stand at the deathbed of one of my oldest friends. Now I'm sitting on my grey couch, with my cup and saucer, trying to recover from the grief of a death that hasn't happened, in a place I've never been. The subconscious can be cruel.

Outside, a pair of cardinals is singing, and the dry grass shimmers in first light. We need rain so badly. I've got some fall sowing to do today: cilantro, radishes, that sort of thing. And I should mow the brittle grass and tear out the weeds along the curb.

I had another day alone yesterday, and I worked on a revision. Slowly, slowly, I'm trying to reinstate myself as a poet in my own life.

6 comments:

nancy said...

So happy that your poems are being accepted, but so sorry about your dream.
The geese have started flocking in the last week (which seems early to me). The sound of geese honking overhead always brings a shiver.

Ruth said...

Nancy, so many things bring a shiver these days.
Dawn, I we are having a gently rain that has filled my rain buckets and I wish I could sned you some as they are overflowing. Congratulations...two published poems in one day. Dreams that scary and that vivid are a such a shock, self-care today in whatever form that may be for you.

Carlene Gadapee said...

Leave the grass, leave the house chores, sit and dwell in yourself for a while. Those dreams are soul-rocking.
Congrats on the poem acceptances! I, predictably, received another "hey your stuff was neat, but no" email. Ah well.

Take care of you. We all need bubblewrap.

David X. Novak said...

I can't imagine anyone not having dreams of that tenor in these days.

David (n of 49) said...

Sorry about the rejection, Carlene, yet great advice regardless. And congrat's for sure, Dawn--excellent news an August weekend.

David (n of 49) said...

"...recover from the grief of a death that hasn't happened, in a place I've never been." -- a cruel dream for sure, but somehow it leaves unaffected your ability to get down a fine line summing it up.