Friday, June 19, 2020

Yesterday I got a lot of Frost Place prep done, mostly while sitting outside in the cool-ish shadows of early morning. My big accomplishment was writing out the play-by-play for a brand-new revision workshop, which I hope will be a fun activity for participants as well as a new way to think about experiential learning. That is the most boring sentence ever, but honestly one of the biggest problems with teaching revision (both directly to students and to the teachers of students) is the hurdle of making it seem (1) fascinating in and of itself rather than a tacked-on chore and (2) like a way to tap into a student's power and agency rather than serve as pure teacher-pleaser ("what more can I discover"? versus "what do you want me to change?"). Revision lessons can also make teachers very anxious. They may hate the sensation of serving as judge and arbiter of someone else's personal revelation; they may doubt their own competence in poetry; they may feel torn between freedom and structure. Given this baggage, the revision workshop at the conference is always a bit fraught and hairy, so my goal this year is to open a new a few new shady corridors, for all of us.

If you are interested in joining us, it's not too late. I'd love to have you.

Today I'll be turning my attention to schedule tweaking, Zoom instructions, faculty bios, and other administrative nitpicking. The weather will be hot, a great day to hang sheets on the line, chain-drink ice tea, and make another batch of pineapple ice cream.

Wishing you shade and sweetness--

2 comments:

nancy said...

Vermont AOE just published preliminary guidelines for re-opening schools in the fall, and they are daunting. I personally don't see how they are possible! I am hoping that I will get some new ideas from the conference in how to make remote learning engaging (no pressure!), since I am sure that I will need to be ready to teach both in person and remotely (perhaps at the same time). Thank you for keeping the conference going in this awkward time of stutter-steps towards "normalcy."

Ruth said...

Wishing you a fraughtless...and if that's not a word, it should be...day. I am so eager to be at Frost albeit remotely, though I have been up to the farm house and Barn taking photos and videos, generally walking around, soaking in the atmosphere.
THANK YOU for all this work.
💜