Thursday, June 18, 2020

I spent much of yesterday reading, but I did also mow grass and wash sweaters and do some grocery shopping and plant a flat of bok choy. Today, however, my brief holiday ends, and I'll be going back to work on Frost Place curriculum and such.

We're entering a stretch of hot weather, and everything is so dry. I have been watering and watering, and longing for rain. So far the Alcott House farm is hanging onto life, but I've had to be vigilant. I suppose, in a way, it's a good thing that I can't go anywhere, because my garden would surely die while I was gone.

Last evening, as Tom and I were sitting at the little table in the Lane, playing cribbage against a scrim of tall garlic, I couldn't stop thinking about how odd it is: that I live here, that we live together, that we have raised a family, that we have done work. I guess it was a Talking Heads moment: "This is not my beautiful house. This is not my beautiful wife." And then: "How did I get here?"

Time is a folded tablecloth. Time is a burr in a dog's coat. Time is a tear in a lettuce leaf. Time is a painting of air.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

That last series of sentences...ah, such striking images.
I know how you feel about prompts, but that surely is one.
Sending strength and assurances for this Frost planning.
It will be good to see faces and hear voices, even though the hugs will be virtual. We manage to sustain and connect throughout the year and certainly this year we will at least see and hear each other too.

David (n of 49) said...

Those last four sentences. Beyond inspired.