Sunday, June 28, 2020

Good morning!

Day 1 of the conference is in the books; and while there were definitely tech wobbles, I think it went as well as it possibly could have, under the circumstances. Participants were engaged, enthusiastic; they spoke with deep thought and feeling about our poem of the day (Frost's "Tree at My Window"), and clearly they felt joyful about being together.

Still, so much has vanished: not only the place, but also the easy contiguity of a collective: meals and casual conversations and little interactions on the porch or in the kitchen. It's hard not to feel sad about these losses.

This evening's reading will feature our faculty member Didi Jackson. Here's the link to the Facebook Live event.

And now I'm going to drink a cup of coffee and go for a bike ride, and then drop back into conference mode. Talk to you tomorrow, I hope.

2 comments:

nancy said...

It was great to be back with so many people who I met three years ago. It was a bit overwhelming, though; I haven't been with that many people in one "room" for a long long time! In spite of the tech glitches and awkwardness of it all, thank you for not cancelling! : )

Dawn Potter said...

So glad to have you there, Nancy! It was overwhelming; I agree. Such a strange sense of overload but also not enough closeness. Life is what what it is, and I guess we have to roll with it.