Thursday, April 9, 2020


In the shadow foreground is a garden box of garlic and shallots. Behind, a pot of mint, not yet sprouted. Under the sunny tree, spreading blue scylla punctuated with white crocuses.

No sun today. Up north, Harmony is grinding its teeth over a projected 12 inches of snow tonight. Down here, along the moderating coast, we might get a few wet flakes, but mostly rain and rain.

Now, in the morning darkness, a passing train blows its long and lonely horn. Paul is asleep, Tom dressing for work. It will be a quiet day.

Yesterday, as Paul and I walked along the neighborhood streets, a little girl accosted us. "Would you like to do my obstacle course?" she asked. Then, with a mostly appropriate six-foot separation (we tried hard, but children do forget), she showed us the chalk patterns she'd drawn on the sidewalk--little paths and hopscotches and laboriously scrawled instructions such as "High-five a tree."

"Of course!" we said. And so we hopped and high-fived our way down the sidewalk, much to the little girl's satisfaction.

By the way, it turns out that high-fiving a tree is extremely enjoyable. If you have an available tree, I recommend it.

Here's the first poem in William Blake's Songs of Innocence (1789) . . . a poem you might naturally turn to after an unknown child instructs you to hop down a public sidewalk and high-five a tree. It's titled, simply, "Introduction."


Piping down the valleys wild
Piping songs of pleasant glee
On a cloud I saw a child,
And he laughing said to me: 
“Pipe a song about a Lamb.”
So I piped with merry chear.
“Piper pipe that song again—”
So I piped, he wept to hear. 
“Drop thy pipe thy happy pipe,
Sing thy songs of happy chear.”
So I sung the same again
While he wept with joy to hear. 
“Piper sit thee down and write
In a book that all may read—”
So he vanish’d from my sight.
And I pluck’d a hollow reed, 
And I made a rural pen,
And I stain’d the water clear,
And I wrote my happy songs
Every child may joy to hear.
  

4 comments:

nancy said...

One of the best things to come out of this "stay at home" order has been to see so many people walking and to see kids playing outside. All of my students have a test grade assignment to go outside, take a photo, and send it to me to put up on the class's website. It is starting to make a difference. A student who hasn't skateboarded in years went out of his house for the first time in two weeks and skateboarded. A student who was going crazy inside is now hiking every day. Nature can heal, as well as infect!
(And instead of fixating on Blake's "America; A Prophecy," I can now revel in "piping down the valleys wild.") Thank you!

Ruth said...

"Nature can heal, as well as infect!" What a great line.
I have always walked most days anyway, but now I stop to take a photo of the ordinary and am reminded of the Celts who had no distinction between the scared and the secular.

Dawn Potter said...

Ruth, I think you meant to type "sacred" and "secular," but "scared" and "secular" is brilliant!

Daisy said...

Today this came up as a memory on Facebook from five years ago. "Last night as I was leaving the library a young girl came bounding down the ramp with her younger brother and her dad in tow. Halfway down the ramp she started waving at me with a big smile like we were old friends, have to admit I did not know her. She stops in front of me and says "HI!" with as big a smile in her voice as on her face. I said HI! back with, I hope, as big a smile. "Did you have a HAPPY EASTER!?" she asks still with that beaming smile. I replied I did and asked if she had? "YES I DID!" she replies and zooms by me into the library. I'm still smiling from that encounter today. It's the little things that can make a day." I remember her so clearly and five years out she made me smile all over again. Your account of your hopscotch girl gave me the same feeling of joy my young ramp runner did. Thanks for a second smile today.