Friday, April 10, 2020

I like most weather, but last night's was awful: a whipping slush gale without one single charm, except for the relief of not being outside in it. This morning the neighborhood is coated with an inch of glop that will undoubtedly melt before noon. We were fortunate in getting so little accumulation: apparently 200,000 people around the state lost power from that ugly storm.

But while the slush was battering at our doors and windows, I had a zoom-date with two of my writer friends, which was silly and sweet and comforting and more fun than I expected, given my horror of video. I made macaroni-and-cheese and a green salad with pears and grapefruit. Tom and I watched part of a disco movie titled "Thank God It's Friday," starring Donna Summer and the Commodores. It was a good evening.

I didn't edit yesterday but instead spent most of it shopping . . . by which I mean texting or telephoning a plethora of small markets, tracking down sources for various staples, succeeding or failing, ordering, picking up curbside bags and boxes. By the end of the afternoon I'd visited four different curbs: Paris Farmers Union (four dozen eggs: my big score!), the Quality Shop (milk and cheddar), Rosemont Market (bread for the freezer, broccoli, oranges, pears), Maine Hardware (dish soap, laundry soap, cat litter). This new version of shopping is time-consuming yet not terrible. I don't like having other people choose my produce for me. I also don't like buying bread that I could easily bake, if I had an adequate flour supply. But our shelves are stocked, the little shops are staying in business, and I haven't set foot inside a store for a couple of weeks.

Today, as the slush dissolves, I'll return to the editing stack, do a little Monson Arts work, fidget with an unsatisfactory poem draft, copy out more Blake, sit by the fire with Northanger Abbey, walk through puddles and mud, make chicory and rice soup.

My poetry group is having a zoom meeting on Monday, and I suppose I'll submit that unsatisfactory draft for discussion, though I don't much want to hear any discussion of it. I already know it's awkward. But I don't currently have any other options. My main writing these days is the pedestrian prose on this blog. It doesn't feel like art, and it's certainly not journalism. My subject matter is dull. Still, I am slogging forward.

6 comments:

nancy said...

One late spring/early summer morning I went to Drake's Island beach to meet a friend. When I got there, the fog was so thick I could see nothing; I could hear the surf, but it took an act of faith to believe that the ocean was really there. The fog turned blindingly white as I stepped into it, and then, miraculously lifted in one moment, and the ocean rolled and skirled almost at my feet in all its newly revealed glory. Pedestrian prose, but, oh, that moment of going from opacity to revelation. If only I could write it.

The fog will lift for you and a poem will flood in.

nancy said...

A good read: https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2020/04/08/how-pandemics-seep-into-literature/

"Yet the literature that arose from the influenza pandemic speaks to our current moment in profound ways, offering connections in precisely the realms where art excels: in emotional landscapes, in the ways a past moment reverberates into the present, in the ineffable conversation between the body’s experiences and our perception of the world."

David X. Novak said...

You read that farmers are dumping food that was grown for restaurants. I wonder what is happening to flour that was produced for them? Apparently it can't be rerouted to the grocery consumer. Is it being dumped too?

David X. Novak said...

People talk about a Universal Basic Income. How bout a weekly flour dole?

Dawn Potter said...

A flour dole: that's a very good idea.

David (n of 49) said...

"Pedestrian prose on this blog" - What?!? Bah, humbug!!! :)