Thursday, September 5, 2019

On September 20, I'll be reading at the Harlow Gallery in Hallowell, Maine, with Adrian Blevins, 7 p.m.

At the end of the month I'll be starting my year-long high school poetry class at Monson Arts.

In mid-October I'm going to Chicago to visit my kid.

On November 1-3 I'll be leading a weekend poetry class at 26 Split Rock Cove, a retreat center in Thomaston, Maine. It will center around the work of Hayden Carruth and Jane Kenyon, and we'll use those conversations to trigger both new work and revision.

In late November I'll be in Bennington for my other kid's senior directing project.

But today I'll be at home reading a poem packet, and maybe moving some compost, running the trimmer, washing sheets, stuffing peppers. It's been a while since I've been able to relax into writing and home stuff, and the garden is certainly in need of harvest attention. I've got chard to freeze, probably tomatoes and eggplant to deal with, and a sad cucumber plant to tear out. I've got my own poems to revise, and other people's poems to mentor.

I'm still reading Barth's The Tidewater Tales. Someday I'll tell you the story of the reading/re-reading of this book. It's very specific, and to me feels very odd. But that's a tale for another morning.

4 comments:

Carlene Gadapee said...

I wish I could be in your Carruth/Kenyon class...so much. Miss you and working on poems!! Someday, things will settle down, right?

Dawn Potter said...

I wish you could be there too. I miss you!

David (n of 49) said...

Ditto that, Carlene.

Ruth said...

Oh yes indeed