Thursday, September 29, 2011

I've been reading Dostoyevsky for the first time in decades, and apparently my adolescent preconceptions still hold true: when it comes to the Russians, I fall into the Tolstoy camp, not the Dostoyevsky one. Still, I'm not sorry to be reading Notes from Underground. The central character's obsessive self-loathing is, in its revolting individualism, a check on my own self-preoccupations; and the frenzy of the writing is rather like listening to Paganini--lots of crazy runs and trills and hard-to-manage technical showmanship but also a certain emotional and aural clutter. In the end, though, all I can conclude is that sometimes the modern era makes me sad. Why am I able to imagine writing Notes from Underground but not able to imagine writing Beowulf? I'd much rather write Beowulf.

I realize this is a dopy, unexamined reaction to Dostoyevsky. Most serious readers seem to love his books, but I just can't. Maybe I will get a cranky comment, like I did when I wrote here about not adoring Roberto Bolano's books. So be it. Internet litterateurs have the bad habit of believing that everyone should like what they like because it is the best. So I want to remind you to feel very, very free not to like what I like or agree with what I say. Very possibly next year I won't agree with it either, for what's wrong with ebbing and flowing among one's books? Why should I like the poetry of Wallace Stevens this morning? Or why shouldn't I?

1 comment:

Carol Willette Bachofner said...

I too ebb and flow in the tide of books here at my house. I am flowing through The House of the Seven Gables right now, albeit on my iPad. I am also glorying in The Habit of Thought by Michael Strong. Sure, I want my friends to like the books I do, because then we can chat about them and love on them together. BUT... I do not want to live in a homogenized world, so I accept that people may NOT like what I like and look forward to a livelier discussion therein! If you don't find The Outermost House a great and must-read book, so be it. But tell me why!