Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Apparently, fate decided to deliver a venomous bite to yesterday's early-morning post about struggling to write because what really happened during the rest of yesterday is that all my bumbling bumbled itself together and I wrote a first draft that made me happy. As I've already mentioned, I've been searching for a way to impersonate immigrant western Pennsylvania voices without resorting to imitation accents. One of those voices is a character I've borrowed from a friend's family history: an Italian-immigrant miner who loved Dante. The idea of such a character has revolved in my thoughts ever since she told me the story. So finally, yesterday, I figured out what I needed to do: I needed to copy out a section of Dante in the Italian and then write alongside it . . . not a translation but a reaction to the visual impact of the Italian and the muscle memory of the meter under my fingers. And it worked! It really did work! I wrote a poem that I think will be, in some future draft, a real piece; and I am so pleased because I love this character dearly and I want to give him a life.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I'm glad you found the antidote to counteract the venom.

Lucy Barber said...

Your instincts on how to find voices are amazing. My dad picked up your book while visiting and loved it. He's trying to get the Seattle Public Library to buy it, but I'll just send him a copy as well for Christmas.