Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Things to stem gloominess or otherwise make anyone feel as if she's made at least a few good decisions in her life

1. I've never been romantically involved with this man: "A drunk driver was forcibly removed from a vehicle and arrested Sunday night after he led police on a high-speed car chase for more than 22 miles and nearly plowed into a police car while swerving around a roadblock, officials said Monday. Police said they overheard [the suspect] tell his female passenger upon his arrest: 'It was a good first date'" (from today's Waterville Morning Sentinel).

2. Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz won the All-Star Home Run Derby last night. Yet apparently, in the final round, he was also giving his chief rival, Hanley Ramirez, friendly and encouraging advice about how to win. This seems so sweet to me, and it reaffirms Papi's place as my favorite Red Sock (though, to tell the truth, I have always had a weakness for chunky, cheerful designated hitters).

3. My raspberry patch, which until this summer has consistently been a poor producer, has transformed itself into the raspberry miracle.

4. I thought I had forgotten how to write until I started writing my Middlemarch essay.

Dinner tonight (if the fish counter cooperates): scallop ceviche, new potatoes, kohlrabi and arugula, raspberries and cream.

1 comment:

charlotte gordon said...

I love raspberries and david ortiz. Most of all I can't wait to read you on Middlemarch. Hurry up.