Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I haven't copied out a Milly Jourdain poem for you since May, mostly because I've been getting tired of poor Milly. She somehow hasn't seemed to suit my impatience and my worked-up energies; and even when I'm gloomy, I don't seem to get gloomy in the way she does. Altogether, for the past few months, I've been been anything but Milly's alter ego . . . which, I do understand, is hardly fair to her. One thing about literature: I'm always looking for myself in it--explanation number 1 for why I never became a scholar.

So, with an attempt at a fresh start with Milly, I offer you, forthwith, today's poem:

Shadows

Milly Jourdain

Along the winding lane I often walk
Touching the trees--letting the grasses slip
Between my fingers. Seeing bluebells shine
Among the fading primroses. Beyond
The open fields sweet with the smell of spring
Look thro' the gate. And further far away
The fields and hedges lose themselves in mist
And yet it's all a dream. Each long day brings
The perfect images of vanished things.

There are many, many deft and lovely words, rhythms, and images in this brief poem, but the ending is terrible, so altogether it just adds to my confusion--not only about Milly's qualities as a poet but about the definition of poetry, the meaning of poetry--by which I don't mean "What's this poem about?" but "What does it mean to have expressed these feelings?" I don't, at all, want to write poems like this; but at the same time I want the eye that sees this world. Judging the value of a poem is so very confusing, and I am glad, once again, that I have resigned from the Beloit Poetry Journal's editorial board.

6 comments:

Jenne' R. Andrews said...

You write in such carefully and aristocratically hewn icecast prose-- in Chapter One, and even on your blog.

Clearly you are a genius, immensely gifted. One day you will look back at your experience of life in Maine when you were 40 and I hope I am around to read your words. I have found that looking back from years out, I write from the heart more than the mind. xj

Dawn Potter said...

Jenne, I'm speechless . . . though "genius" is a word that everyone in my family would laugh at. I am famously inept at basic skills such as arithmetic and walking through a room without bumping into furniture . . . which I realize, have nothing to do with writing but a fair amount to do with contiguous habitation. As Robert Lowell's father said of his son: "Poets see more in his work than most other people."

Anyway, your blog has also been a pleasure to visit. I've particularly enjoyed your views on animal rearing, which is an interest and a distress that has intersected with my own trajectory. And I'm glad that Maureen has spend so much time on her interview with you. I'm sure that's a great gift to her readers.

Maureen said...

I always find it fascinating what people think of poetry and particular poems. I appreciate your post very much for its honesty.

Custis Jensen at the Electric Literature blog wrote a piece this morning about poetry in response to the Gulf Coast oil disaster. He ended the post by stating that "reducing of vastly complex material, social, and political contexts to selected elements figured in compression results in poetry of affirmation, whether it is poetry in response to the Deepwater Horizon disaster or otherwise. Poetry of affirmation which holds very little significance."

Should I not have laughed?

I enjoy your blog a lot. Thank you.

Dawn Potter said...

I think you definitely should have laughed!

Ruth said...

I rather liked the line breaks.

Dawn Potter said...

I agree, Ruth: the break after "beyond" is particularly delicate.