Monday, September 14, 2009

The weekend at Haystack was lovely and intense. On previous visits, I've always been freezing; but this time, I slept in only one layer of clothing. The morning fogs faded quickly. I identified guillemots for the first time and amused myself by watching gulls heckle a lobster boat in the cove. I'm fond of smart, obnoxious, undelicate birds like gulls and crows and blue jays.

My class was small--four women--which was also a change. With the usual ten or twelve participants, I have to be a timekeeping martinet during discussions. But this weekend, we had plenty of space to go off on tangents; and tangents, as any loafing poet knows, are frequently more revelatory than plans.

Of course, nothing is perfect. I had a brief, 10-minute reading on Friday evening, and, afterward I was sure it was awful, that I should have chosen some funnier excerpt from Tracing Paradise, that I should have read more poetry and less prose, that I shouldn't have been so uppity and intellectual. I lay in my bed regretting everything and thinking that I should never have bothered to climb out from under my rock and take this job. Yet the next morning people kept telling me how much they liked what I'd read. So I ask you: when do people ever get smarter about themselves? Or do we always stay just as dumb as ever?

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Personally. I often walk around berating myself for stupidities, though others keep telling me that whatever I did was just fine, if not great. Must be the nature of people who want to do well and want others to do well too.

Kate Meo said...

"OMG! Shut up, you both rock!" -- junior girl to her friends after they read their short reaction assignments and then self-harshed last week.

"OMG! Shut up, you both rock!" -- Kate to Dawn and Ruth, today, with as much love.

And tangents rock, too.

Dawn Potter said...

XXX to you, too, Kate. And by the way, I put a link to your blog on the Frost Place Facebook page. I wanted everyone to read what you have to say.