Friday, September 11, 2009

A couple of articles that may interest you: first, a review of Alice Munro's new short-story collection; and second, an essay by Fernando Perez, an outfielder for the Tampa Bay Rays and a lover of poetry.

I heard Perez interviewed on NPR yesterday evening. I was standing in the kitchen, dishtowel in hand, marveling to hear this baseball player talk about why he cares about Ashbery and Creeley. And in walks my younger son.

He stops; he listens. He turns to me and puts his arms around me and looks into my eyes and smiles. We stand there together for a moment, enlaced. And then he releases himself and wanders off to his room.

My son doesn't care about Ashbery and Creeley, and neither do I. But something made sense to us. I'm not sure what it was, but something did.

4 comments:

Sheila Byrne said...

I heard this interview as well; I stopped in my driveway to hear the end of it.

There's something marvelously romantic about a professional athlete who reads poetry, and who's written an essay on the subject. It's reminiscent of the movie "Bull Durham."

It's funny- I've noticed that the football players I've taught tend to enjoy poetry, but baseball and hockey- not so much.

Ruth said...

I am definitely NOT an athlete, but football has a certain internal poetic structure. Baseball does not. I am surprised at hockey though, but I do think Sheila's observation is correct however. Hockey SHOULD enjoy poetry as it is so fluid. My 5th grade boys seem to really "get" poetry and my girls seem to "know" they should like it as a genetic right.

Dawn Potter said...

I think baseball is way more poetic than football.

Sheila Byrne said...

There's more time to think~ reflect~ obseve~ in baseball.