Friday, February 15, 2019

. . . and here I am, acquainting myself with another morning, as a hairbrained cat rumbles and tumbles up and down the stairs, and the dishwasher churns because we forgot to push "Run" last night, and too many coffee grounds float around in my cup.

School today, and editing, and online classwork. Rain, snow, and grocery shopping in the forecast. It's trash day. I need to clean the ashes out of the stove. I should wash towels and sheets. There's nothing new under the sun . . . though I'm not sure I'd call today's weak-minded orb a sun. It's not very sure of itself this morning.

Yesterday I applied for a fellowship that I'll never get, and I wrote up a author bio for the Frost Place newsletter that makes me sound like I must be earning more money than I really am. I suppose that's some sort of version of success, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

1 comment:

Ang said...

Dawn I thought I might use your forum to give a shout out to The UNDERGROUND RAILROAD by Colson Whitehead. It won the 2017 Pulitzer for fiction. It is terrifying and soul touching. I cannot read it at night and still only in short bursts. It is not horror though it moves over to the fantastical/science fiction realm by his use of a real railroad line. This is NOT a spoiler.

Otherwise I am rereading Pride and Prejudice at night to calm myself. It still produces wisdom and, of course, pleasure, after all these years. I also recently read Jackaroo, an early YA novel by Cynthia Voight. Both of my daughters loved her books. It was girl power all the way.