Wednesday, May 9, 2018

I spent yesterday going hither and thither with the boy . . . hiking along the salt marshes, carting stuff to the Goodwill, that sort of thing. It feels so good to just hang out together. A phone call can never replicate casual elbow-rubbing

Today I've got a bunch of going-away prep to accomplish, a class to teach, and then a small dinner party to host for J and some of his childhood friends . . . a tiny crush of young people loudly eating fried chicken and macaroni salad. What could be better? Then tomorrow we embark on our visit-everyone-in-the-family tour. Ahead of us are card games, pie, cheering on a nephew at a track meet, and being in the same room with both of my boys on Mother's Day.

So you'll hear from me only sporadically over the next week. In the meantime, leave me a note here and tell me what you're reading and/or writing about these days.

4 comments:

Maureen said...

Have a safe and wonderful trip and a lovely Mother's Day, Dawn.

Carlene said...

A note about what I'm reading...hm. There may be a strange and unintentional intersection between your emerging "housework" essay and the pile of narratives I'm putting together for a class I'll be teaching this coming fall. I am, in short, developing a notebook full of personal narrative type essays that focus on food: food and traditions, food and culture, food and self. I will be teaching college composition for a group of chef-interns at the Mt Washington Hotel, and we will be working thematically.
Any suggestions would be welcome!
Enjoy your odyssey with the boy!=)

David (n of 49) said...

Paul Fussell's The Great War and Modern Memory (re-read), which is supposed to be my prep for reading the new bio of David Jones. Until, that is, I had the odd idea of reading Akhmatova and Koestler's Darkness At Noon, together... :)

Otherwise, what Maureen said, Dawn, and happy visiting with the lucky son.

Ruth said...

The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore, the interaction of Edison, Westinghouse and Tesla and I’ve “listed” Tesla for NetFlix soon. I’m getting a small sheaf of poems for tonight’s Poetry Open Stage @ one of my local libraries and assembling the “required” purple PEEPS for a lesson on prepositions @ the school where I volunteer.