Thursday, February 6, 2014

I would like to describe a light
which is being born in me
but I know it does not resemble
any star
for it is not so bright
not so pure
and is uncertain
--from "I Would Like to Describe" by Zbigniew Herbert, trans. Alissa Valles


What crazies we writers are,
our heads full of language like buckets of minnows
            standing in the moonlight on a dock. Ray
was a good writer, a wonderful writer, and his
            poems are good, most of them, and they made me
cry, there at my kitchen table with my head down,
            me, a sixty-seven-year-old galoot, an old fool
because all old men are fools, they have to be,
            shoveling big jagged chunks of that ordinary pie
into my mouth, and the water falling from my eyes
            onto the pie, the plate, my hand, little speckles
shining in the light, brightening the colors, and I
            ate that goddamn pie, and it tasted good to me.
--from "Ray" by Hayden Carruth


Before I got my eye put out
I liked as well to see—
As other Creatures, that have Eyes
And know no other way—
--from Poem 327 by Emily Dickinson


we let him out
we let him in
we let him out again
--from "Hound Song" by Donald Finkel


As we go round and round like a horse in a mill, we perceive that we are thus clogged with sound because we are reading what we should be hearing.
--from "Strange Elizabethans" by Virginia Woolf


Bright-eyed Athena sent them a swift following wind
rippling out of the west, ruffling over the wine-dark sea 
as Telemachus shouted out commands to all his shipmates: 
“All lay hands to tackle!” They sprang to orders, 
hoisting the pinewood mast, they stepped it firm 
in its block amidships, lashed it fast with the stays 
and with braided rawhide halyards hauled the white sails high. 
Suddenly wind hit full and the canvas bellied out 
and a dark blue wave, foaming up at the bow, 
sang out loud and strong as the ship made way, 
skimming the whitecaps, cutting toward her goal.
--from The Odyssey by Homer, trans. Robert Fagles


This door you might not open, and you did;
          So enter now, and see for what slight thing
You are betrayed.
--from "Bluebeard" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Wonderful collection of excerpts.