Friday, November 22, 2013

Fiftieth Anniversary

Today is the fiftieth anniversary of John Kennedy's death. However, the fiftieth anniversary of me won't take place till next year, which is to say: I am a member of the first generation of babies to have no relationship whatsoever to Kennedy's death, not even a "my mother was pushing me in my baby carriage when . . . " anecdote. On November 22, 1963, I wasn't conceived yet.

When I was growing up, I heard, of course, about Kennedy and his doings and his charms and his philandering and his murder, etc., etc. But I was far more interested in Jackie. By the time I remember her, she was no longer a black-and-white portrait of a widow, with a little hat and a tidy dress and Aqua Net hair and two bewildered children. Now she was a staple of colorful 1970s celebrity photos--long hair whipping in the seabreeze, giant sunglasses--and she was married to a toad-like Picasso-esque guy who was named, of all things, Aristotle.

How could those women in the photos be the same person? One was so neat and girdled. The other was flapping in the wind. And then there was the other question: Husband Number 1 was a perpetually young, coiffed, and handsome statesman, whereas Husband Number 2 was a perpetually chunky old bald guy in a bathing suit. What on earth was she thinking to marry a man who looked like that?

It all makes more sense now that I've reached the chunky old bald guy stage myself. But as a child, I think I would have preferred to witness endless Miss Havisham-like despair rather than a coming-to-terms-with-grief-by-taking-up-a-swinging-seventies-lifestyle-on-a-yacht. Girls can be very romantic but also cruel. They know they will never be old, and have little patience with people who make such a mistake.

Margaret Atwood's novel Cat's Eye considers that surprise: when suddenly we've traded places with those scornful girls and become the strange old bag on the street.
I am transitional; some days I look like a worn-out thirty-five, others like a sprightly fifty. So much depends on the light, and the way you squint. . . . 
Lately I've caught myself humming out loud, or walking along the street with my mouth slightly open, drooling a little. Only a little, but it may be the thin edge of the wedge, the crack in the wall that will open, later, onto what? What vistas of shining eccentricity, or madness?
You want to hear the truth? I hum out loud. Tom pointed it out to me the other day. "Do you know you do that?" he asked. Well, sometimes I notice . . . after I've been humming out loud for God knows how long. This is a problem in quiet places such as the grocery store and other people's poetry readings and the stalls of public bathrooms. But if I were humming out loud on a yacht next to a chunky guy in a bathing suit, the wind would be so noisy that no one would notice.

5 comments:

Jean said...

Fabulous! Thank you so much for writing this.

Ruth said...

Enjoyed reading this. My students' parents were not alive yet either not had they heard the stories. Makes teaching contemporary history to the 4th grade a challenge.

I, on the other hand, remember everything, even what I was wearing and name of the teacher teaching Algebra II!

At least you hum. I am usually singing out loud in those same places and not noticing until someone, usually a total stranger comments on the song or one how happy I must be!

Maureen said...

I had turned 11 only a couple of weeks before. I was in 6th grade and, like Ruth, remember my teacher's name and the announcement that the president had been killed. I asked to be excused and went to the restroom to cry in a stall there.

Sarah Bracey White said...

I was 17, newly orphaned and a freshman at Morgan State College in Baltimore. A group of us - boys and girls - were playing touch football in the grassy quadrangle between the girls' dorms. Someone rushed over shouting, "The president's been shot!" We ran to the Student Union and sat transfixed before the TV as Walter Cronkite's face and sonorous voice relayed the gravity of it all.

Anonymous said...

Here's a humming out loud story for you, Dawn: A woman I know was in a public bathroom stall humming the tune to a summer camp song - one that was specifically written for this particular summer camp. Someone in the adjoining stall began singing along; she not only recognized the tune, but chimed in with the words as well! These two women are now members of an a capella singing group and have been for quite some time...