Sunday, March 24, 2013

Dear employers,

Before you decide that I am the wrong person for your job--so wrong that you can't even respond to my application, let alone grant me an interview--please consider this:

Spending eighteen years at home with two boys does not equal "has no experience." You might instead try thinking of it as "works easily and flexibly with students of all ages and levels." Or "responds quickly and efficiently to crisis." Or "accustomed to shifting schedules, tasks, and priorities to suit current needs." Or "skilled at facilitating compromise and juggling multiple demands." Or "arrives to work on time; is well organized; is patient and friendly; learns new things quickly; is an efficient decision maker."

You don't care to learn that I'm almost fifty years old? And why don't I hide the fact that I have loved being home with my children, my animals, and my land and that a change in our circumstances will make me sad? Surely this is evidence that I will be incompetent in the workplace. How could it be possible to imagine that an applicant's evident sadness is proof of a loving, attached heart? Could your workplace use a few more of those hearts? But of course that's the kind of information that doesn't really show up on a resume, does it? Unless, perhaps, you were to go back and rethink that "eighteen years at home with two boys" issue.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Your experience is what Sheryl "Lean In" Sandberg will never get, and why I will not read her book and contribute to making her wealthier.

Reading this, it just leaves me enraged that extraordinary women in the 21st C have to put up with this crap.

Dawn Potter said...

I keep wondering if I'm just making this stuff up--and then I realize that in every job I've ever held, paid or volunteer, I've been a competent, useful employee. So why won't anyone give me a chance now? And it's not just me who's dealing with this (as you so succinctly put it) crap: I know numbers of intelligent, capable women who, because they decided to stay home with their children, have tied themselves to meager, petty, part-time employment. Sure, you can say: go back to school and get a degree. But where's the money going to come from? These are the same women who now have college-age kids. Argh.