Monday, July 6, 2009

Monday morning and, other than poison ivy and an ocular migraine, everything is going well.  I never even heard of an ocular migraine before, but live and learn. Kind of like LSD without the LSD. Fortunately, it lasts for 20 minutes instead of 20 hours.

Now onto a completely different subject: For the second time in my life, I, the copyeditor, have been copyedited--this time, via my upcoming CavanKerry poetry ms. The copyeditor repeatedly pointed out my attachment to hyphens and, yes, as a writer, I recognize that I am archaic about hyphenation. I just think "looking-glass" looks better than "looking glass." James Joyce, however, would have written "lookingglass," and this may be why Ulysses drives me crazy. Too many ugly compound words.

I did give in to the copyeditor once in a while since I know that's a nice thing to do. We copyeditors can get easily depressed by trumpeting, self-righteous authors who think they have the right to ignore Webster's and spell anything any damn way they please.

No comments: