Thursday, September 24, 2026

We had a great first day of school at Monson Arts. This year's cohort is already eager to write, talk, and share, though most have known each other for only about 5 minutes. I've got two repeats from last session, the younger relative of a previous student, and, for the first time, an alum of the visual arts program who's decide to do the writing program this year. I've also got my first homeschooler, though V/A has had a few over the years. What I'm short of, so far, are boys (only one). But a couple of the schools had conflicts and couldn't send kids for the first day, so that may change.

On the way home Gretchen and I  took a side trip to North Star Orchards in Madison, my very favorite orchard on earth. I was a regular customer there, all the years we were in Harmony. They have extremely effective storage practices, so the fruit is fresh and firm late into the season, and the spot itself is just gorgeous--up on a rise that overlooks the western Maine mountains and down into New Hampshire's Presidentials. And to my great happiness, the owner remembered me clearly, asked after my boys, and altogether reminded me that my life in Harmony was real.

So I came home loaded with nostalgia and Tom's favorite apples (and also pears, a gift from the chef in Monson), which means that today I'll need to squeeze pie baking into the schedule. I have to edit, and I have to grocery-shop, and I have to meet with arts commission folks, and now I have to slice up apples and roll out dough. What I don't need to do is go away overnight any time soon. So much road stuff, so close together. I am very ready to be home. 

No comments: