Sunday, June 30, 2024

It is Tom's idea that we should try to sell those discarded books piled in our dining room, though I am doubtful that this will come to anything and am all for just hauling them to the Goodwill, however I defer and T loads them into various crates and laundry baskets and we drive downtown to Yes Books, a dark narrow crowded shelves-are-going-to-tip-over-and-kill-you kind of delightful used bookstore, except that there is no parking anywhere close, so we have to hoick our heavy book baskets up a long hilly block from the car to the store, which is hard and tiring but I do it, thank you, exercise regimen, and when we get inside the book man begins sorting through our books and he has an unimpressed look on his face and I am resigned to hoicking them back downhill again and I am trying hard not to look at anything on the shelves in case I am tempted to buy it, and then suddenly the book man says I will pay you $140 for this stack, and I am shocked--Hey, we actually made money off books, I say later, though T says More like recouped a few losses, which okay he has a point, anyway back to the bookstore story, when the book man asks Who should I make the check out to? I say Dawn Potter, and he says Oh, you're Dawn Potter, I have seen your poems, they come through here sometimes, and I am flustered, and as we're walking back to the car with the rejects T says You got to be famous for 30 seconds

2 comments:

Ruth said...

πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

Ang said...

Good story. Great description. Worthy project.

You were paid for your effort to get these books in the hands of people that truly WANT them. That keeps them out of the waste stream. Goodwill does cull donations for sale online, etc. but your downtown bookstore does a way better job in the reuse dept.