Tuesday, December 19, 2023

I was very wrong about that storm. The winds returned with a vengeance, and this morning Maine is a big mess. Our neighborhood seems to have escaped the worst of it: only a little water in the basement and some small branches down.  Power is out all over the state (though ours only flickered). When I drove across town to get my hair cut, I saw big trees down on major roads and wondered if vanity was leading me to make a dreadful mistake. Tom got sent home early because the power went out on the job site and all of the portable toilets blew over (and they were full: ew). Then he got trapped behind some downed trees for a while. A massive scaffolding blew over at the state office building where my neighbor works, and everyone had to be evacuated . . . Yesterday was quite a scene.

Today looks to be calmer, which means that the power guys can get up in their buckets and start solving problems. I do wonder how T will get to work, though, given the number of trees blocking roads and dangling on lines in that town.

I always feel so lucky when we come through these events unscathed. Our Norway maples are terrifying in a high wind. But the only thing that blew over was the recycling bin.

And I did get a great haircut . . . a new bouncy short bob that Sally the stylist says "looks like you're bringing the 90s back!" Make of that comment what you will.

1 comment:

Carlene M Gadapee said...

I'm glad you made it through with little damage. We have no school today, because there is no way to access Lisbon from Littleton-- the roads are all flooded, whichever way you turn. What's scary is that they had to evacuate all of the businesses down on the Meadow (Home Depot, Walmart, Lowes, etc.)-- the parking lots are now part of the river. They evacuated the homeless encampments (my heart breaks for those people so much)-- there was a big article in the paper this past week about their plight, and now either it's far worse, or maybe, this is what it takes to get people to care enough to help solve the problem. I don't know.

At any rate, we are dry. Not so for too many people in our little towns here in the North Country. All that snow we had on the mountains (much of it man-made) for early skiing added to the rain and the gush of it has been, and is, terrifying.

Gush of capitalism? Maybe. A lot to ponder.