Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Today I begin the crazy-busy part of my week, but at least it will be punctuated by walks with friends--first, an early-morning one with a Portland pal; then, mid-afternoon, another with a Harmony pal--before I trundle into Monson for the night.

The weather has been a delight--soft days and cooler nights; the sweet dreaminess of early October, landscape pocked with poets and lovers kicking up the first leaves underfoot as the blue skies sigh.

Here at the Alcott House, I hang clothes in a dark dawn. I eat my lunch outside in the sunshine. Late afternoons I harvest greens and herbs and watch the neighbors toss a football in the street. But in Monson I'll have no such pastimes . . . just the lake to moon over, just the reddened trees and a notebook of wanderings. And then, tomorrow, work.

I need to re-learn these sudden switches, how to sleep in strange beds and fill strange hours. This evening I plan to read The Rime of the Ancient Mariner all the way through before I fall asleep. I wonder where it will lead me.

1 comment:

nancy said...

And then there is this from Faulkner: "In a strange room you must empty yourself for sleep. And before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are emptied for sleep, you are not. And when you are filled with sleep, you never were. I don't know what I am. I don't know if I am or not." Add that to Coleridge, and what do you have?