Saturday, September 30, 2023

Saturday, 5:30 a.m. A porcelain moon, round-cheeked as a Hummel, nods over the neighbors' Edwardian roof. It shines down onto my modest Cold War roof, onto Weimar and Prohibition and Lost Generation roofs . . . a little jumble of history dozing under a blanket of sky.

Here, in the little northern city by the sea, in this leafy village enclave, with its steeple and corgis and late-blooming roses, I sit under my Eisenhower rafters, thinking of Samuel Taylor Coleridge thinking of his friend Charles Lamb, "my gentle-hearted Charles, to whom / No sound is dissonant which tells of Life."

I've been a little lonely for my old friends. I had hopes of seeing a few next week, but schedules collide and that won't happen. Still, before long I'll see others in Brooklyn, another in West Tremont . . . joy and sadness, aging and loss, these beloveds who have loved for so long. "Now, my friends emerge / Beneath the wide wide Heaven," as Sam T. sighs. It's a great poem and not too long: you should read it and sigh with him, and with me . . . "This Lime-Tree Bower My Prison," written in 1797, and still as fresh as a breeze.

Now, outside, first light is shimmering over economical vinyl siding and cracking asphalt driveways, over exhausted sunflowers and forgotten bicycles, over chubby cats slinking into garages, over a tired drunk shuffling slowly up a small hill.

I pour my second cup of coffee and gaze into the barely day, into the not-yet future. Time pauses. It is a moment of nothing much. And yet.

2 comments:

nancy said...

beautiful poem . . . thank you for sending me to it!

Carlene M Gadapee said...

Good morning, my friend.
Thank you for the shift to the Romantics... this time of year does that, doesn't it? I've been wallowing in Keats and Shelley lately. They ooze heart-soreness.