Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Despite expectations, yesterday turned out to be decently productive. I shipped an editing project, filled out a grant report, read my Donne homework, arduously drafted some job paperwork. None of this was exactly enjoyable, but all of it needed to be done, and I was glad to cross it off the list.

Today I'll undertake a small editing job, clean the upstairs rooms, and maybe let myself mess around with a poem draft. My notebook is packed with Thursday blurts that I haven't yet transcribed, and I'd like to dig into them for an hour or two. I've got green beans to freeze, I should force myself to go grocery shopping . . . but what gets done is what will get done.

Most of my family labor these days is spent propping up my sister, and at least there I feel useful. We text or talk multiple times a day, and I try to counsel and console. It's hard work, and I am ragged. But outside, the sunflowers are blooming. Inside, the kitchen counters are clean and white. Jane Eyre is a surprising comfort: that dogged little governess, always seesawing between restraint and explosion.

And so August draws to a close, and the books pile up around me like medicine bottles. Take one spoonful of Charlotte Bronte three times a day, or until you are ferocious. 

1 comment:

Carlene M Gadapee said...

It's funny you should mention Jane Eyre and the comfort it brings; there's this really good article on NPR, "This 'Jane Eyre' enthusiast invites you to treat your favorite books as sacred text," that speaks to that point. (link below)
I agree that there are texts that provide pure balm-- not wisdom, exactly, but a steadying influence on our hearts and minds. I don't have any adult-level books that come to mind, but for me, The Wind in the Willows and The Secret Garden fill that niche well.
I hope your day is calm, and you find both comfort and inspiration.

NPR: https://www.npr.org/2023/08/27/1195954927/this-jane-eyre-enthusiast-invites-you-to-treat-your-favorite-books-as-sacred-tex