Thursday, April 20, 2023

Daylight breaks earlier and earlier each day. Now, when I get up at 5:30, the sky is already transparent, and, twenty minutes later, a clear gray has unfolded behind the budding maples.

Yesterday was tiring: packed with departure, packed with work, including a night class I had to teach, but I muddled through, and then ate a fine late dinner of cod en papillote with my beloved. (Pro tip for people who teach at night and need to prep dinner ahead of time: parchment-wrapped fish fillets are the make-ahead way to go. For each serving: a square of parchment paper; on it some salt-n-peppered fish, a handful of sliced red onion, a handful of scallions, a dab of harissa or salsa or the like, a spoonful of cooked couscous/rice/quinoa/polenta or whatever; fold up each serving into a pouch and place on a baking pan; stick in the fridge till required; then bake at 425 for 15 minutes and you've got a speedy and delightful meal.)

Today will also be busy, but at least I got a lot of things crossed off my list yesterday. I finished the massive editing project, and I set up a website for an upcoming class, which means that today I can focus on class prep and cleaning bathrooms and probably grocery shopping and maybe gardening and likely going out to write. I am still overwhelmed by household stuff and desk stuff, and I need to restart my exercise regimen after most of a week away, and that shooting situation on the highway really jangled me, but a good night's sleep has helped a lot. And what would I rather be doing? I don't know.

No comments: