Sunday, October 30, 2022

Sunday, 5:15 a.m., 34 degrees, outside air dark and sharp. I woke up too early for a weekend day off, but at least it's an unscheduled too-early: I can loll here in my couch corner as long as I like.

Yesterday's workshop seemed to go well, and in the afternoon I puttered outside in the sunshine, finishing up with the debris pile, sorting through random firewood scraps, and otherwise neatening the slop corner behind the shed. A homestead needs a slop corner, someplace to stash the compost bins and the leaf pile, but I feel city eyes always on me, as if I'm responsible for the view from other people's windows. I should probably stop thinking that way, but with so many houses pressed up against mine, in every direction, it's hard to ignore the fishbowl.

I talked with both of my boys yesterday, read a lot, ambled up to the store in the evening to buy beer. Today I've got to grocery-shop and do some housework but otherwise am hoping to meander. This coming week will be filled with going-away prep. Firewood delivery on Monday morning; the rest of the week, wood stacking, class planning, reading planning, travel planning, my friend Betsy's book launch on Thursday night--a swirl of thinking-ahead, thinking-ahead.

At least I seem to have survived my latest grief attack. My legs feel steadier underneath me, my mind less plaintive.

1 comment:

Carlene Gadapee said...

I've been thinking about your recent spate of sadness. I, too, have been sucked into the darkness of the heart and soul of late (lots of reasons, all having to do with loss). You are quite right about this phantom limb-type of feeling, and yes, satisfying physical work helps a lot. Putting one's setting to rights and imposing order is cathartic.

I hope you are feeling more yourself. Reclaiming one's "muchness" is hard work.