Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Rain has been pouring and crashing all night, and now water is trickling into the basement, little rivers snaking across the concrete floor like leaks in a boat hull. 

At least the roof is holding.

I slept badly, woken in the middle of the night by a family-emergency text; and though everything seems to have shaken out okay, I've still got that metallic anxiety taste in my mouth. 

But this cup of coffee is soothing, the sound of the rain is soothing, I'll step over the rivers when I go down to the basement, the day will advance, I will deal with it.

Today I might finish going through the editing stack on my desk. I should grocery-shop. I could submit poems to journals. Last night I cooked up a bowl of foraged honey mushrooms for orecchiette; I could go out into the wet and look for more.

Maybe this day will settle down.

* * *

FYI, my upcoming reading with Meg Kearney and Catherine Parnell, originally scheduled for October 26, has been rescheduled for November 30, 7 p.m. ET, via zoom.

1 comment:

Carlene Gadapee said...

I hope all is/will be well.
And I will repost about your reading with the new date.

C