Monday, October 10, 2022

My work week started yesterday, with an afternoon zoom class, and today, after lunch, I head north for tomorrow's Monson Arts class. So the morning will be filled with housework and grocery shopping, in an attempt to avoid returning home to a foodless mess.

We still haven't had a frost in Portland, and I still haven't planted my garlic. I need to find time to do that this week, in and among my desk and teaching obligations. And we've got company arriving on Friday, so I'll need to make decent stab at shining things up around here. That is difficult to do when the yard is a construction site.

I hope some of you are having a day off. That is not the case here in the Alcott House, where work slaps us around like it does on every other Monday. But we did have our lovely Saturday outing, so I'm not complaining. And Wellington and Monson will be glorious in their autumn robes.

My teaching day will focus on expansion and contraction--beginning with a fragment and swelling out to the universe; then taking the fat group draft we wrote in the last session and reducing it to a fragment. I made a stack of cards, each with a Sappho line written on it, so we'll play with those as our starters. Here's hoping my idea works. Every class is like a science experiment. Something's bound to fizzle or explode.

1 comment:

nancy said...

We've had several killing frosts. We ate the last meal of green beans last night. I am attempting to keep the nasturtiums under wraps, so that I can continue to take some fresh flowers to my mother-in-law, but the rest of the garden has been put to bed : (
Tomorrow, my little class of four homeschoolers is performing Spoon River type monologues, as inspired by our walk to a local cemetery last week. So many untold stories hinted at in those inscriptions!
Loved your description of the day at the ocean. That is the only thing I miss by moving here!