Friday, October 7, 2022

 This morning I woke up and I was 58 years old. 

I love my birthday, I always love my birthday, but this year I feel a little tongue-tied about it. I never complain about my age; I'm just so glad to be alive. Still, sometimes I am in the mood for a retrospective, and that is not how I'm feeling this morning. I could emote about turning 60 in two years, I could recall childhood birthday anxieties about being spanked, I could say something elegiac about autumn. Maybe I'll do some or all of that before this post ends, but for the moment I don't feel the urge to do much more than be.

There is a stack of little wrapped gifts in the dining room, sent by my mother. There are bright cards on the mantle. 

My day will be quiet. I finished the editing project, so will do some class prep and then plant garlic, maybe go to the plant nursery to look at flower bulbs, definitely buy ingredients to make a lemon layer cake with mascarpone frosting.

I want a day when I am flotsam and jetsam, quietly bumping up against this and that. I want a day when working for other people isn't my primary activity.

I will listen to a little playoff baseball and mix up my cake. I will dig in the dirt. I will read a book and drink tea. I will fiddle with some poems. I will let the day be itself.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

πŸ’œπŸ™‹πŸΌ‍♀️πŸ‘πŸΌπŸŽ‚πŸŽπŸ§πŸ₯‚πŸ›πŸŽ‰πŸ¨πŸˆ‍⬛🎼 Splendiferous Birthday

nancy said...

Happy birthday!! I will turn 65 in few weeks -- I love October birthdays! And I love Dylan Thomas's ode to October birthdays : )
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/browse?contentId=24096

Carlene Gadapee said...

I am cheered by your post today! It's been a hell of a year, and yes, it is good to be alive. And that cake sounds absolutely delightful.

Happy Birthday, Dawn. We are all very glad you are our friend!

David (n of 49) said...

Going to repat Ruth's wonderful trademark word: may you have a splendiferous day. And enjoy the quiet drift of flotsam and jetsam.