Thursday, June 9, 2022

Today, hard as it is to believe, I am a person with a car that has a working air conditioner. My parents gave it to me as a gift, the garage was able to do the work quickly, and voila: cold! 

I don't think I'll be playing with the A/C much today, however. We've got another rainy day looming, and I've got nowhere hot to go. Maybe this afternoon I'll do some wet transplanting--cutting back the encroaching phlox and moving chunks of it into the rock wall--but mostly I'll be at my desk, or phoning my family, or getting phone calls from my family, or texting madly with my sister, or gnashing my teeth. Yesterday I finally got a start on my conference prep, but I still have a lot of work to do in that regard. Kerrin and I talked in the afternoon and sussed out who would handle what. No surprise: she'll take the lead with contemporary work, I'll take the lead with the old. So I'm immersed in Frost and Marvell and thinking hard about strategies for leading participants into creative/analytical collision with that work. And I've got a big editing project to finish and a bunch of emails/queries/administrative stuff to deal with . . . but I've also decided that tonight I'm going to the salon to write. It's been weeks since I've drafted anything new, and I'm in need.

I look back at that paragraph and see that it's a big messy knot, which just about sums up my head, and I'm not going to edit it into prettiness. Paragraph = state of mind.


* * *

. . . and just now I've learned that my dear friend, the great poet Betsy Sholl, has written about my poem "Mr. Kowalski." I'm overwhelmed and tearful and very, very grateful.

2 comments:

nancy said...

I just finished this book, which I found fascinating (https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/586707/rhymes-rooms-by-brad-leithauser/). He used a number of Frost's poems as examples, comparing them to much older works. The book is making me examine the sound in poems more closely.

David (n of 49) said...

"I love the way Potter really gives us the whole world...." - Betsy Sholl