Tuesday, May 17, 2022

We had a real rain last night, thank goodness, and this morning the garden is soaked and gleaming. Already I've got towels in the washing machine, readying for the line and a beautiful sunny breezy low-70s day.

Yesterday turned out to be sort of a mishmash, as I was on the phone for much of the morning instead of at  my desk. And now today looks to be another one. I got a call that my new glasses are in, and they are likely to affect my schedule. The switch in progressive prescriptions routinely gives me a brief terrible migraine; and given that I've got to teach tonight, the migraine must happen early in the day. But once the headache is over, I'll be very, very glad to have better vision.

So: migraine recovery, editing, class prep, email writing, laundry, getting a brisket into the oven before I start class, taking a bike ride or a walk (depending on the toe situation), cleaning floors . . .

In the garden things are looking magnificent. My peas (in the Breadbasket) and spinach (in the Lane boxes) are spectacular. The Shed Patch overflows with speedwell and phlox. Deep purple iris speckle the green Hill Country. Buds are swelling on the peonies in the Parlor and Library beds and the Lantern Waste. The infant clematis is already climbing up Barry's Arch. The pepper seedlings are settling in beautifully on the Terrace. Strawberries are in bloom in the Lurk, blueberries in bloom on Concord Plain.

[If you are new to this blog, you should know that one of my son's pandemic pastimes was to name all of the sub-environments in this little yard. I've kept it up, as it's a very good way to record new plantings in my notebook; plus, it's fun to imagine the yard as an island.]


No comments: