Saturday, April 9, 2022

I had a slow day yesterday, mostly rain and reading and baseball on the radio. But today I'll get back on the stick: I need to clean house and bake bread, and maybe do some work outside, though the weather looks uncooperative for that. Tom and I are getting used to being a pair again; I'm remembering how to cook for two, how to clean up for two. It's so radically different, caretaking for two instead of one. You wouldn't think it would make such a difference in a day.

In the course of an email thread about entirely different topic, a friend of mine--a well-known poet--mentioned my piece "Mr. Kowalski," which she called a "major poem." I was nonplussed, of course, and head-in-the-sand embarrassed, and unable to respond elegantly. But the comment has been scratching at me ever since: the praise, yes, but also what does it mean, to have written something so large? By "large," I don't mean "great"--I mean "covering so much ground," which that poem does, whether one likes it or not. (And some people don't like it, and have told me so.) Naturally I worry that all of my poems should be large; or that I'll never write another large poem; or that large poems overshadow the value of all the smaller poems; or that it's too big for the new collection . . . worry, worry, worry: it's what I do, always second-guessing myself.

The poem is not new. I first published it in 2013, but it never showed up in a collection till now . . . it was too large, too much. But this time around, I took the risk. Now I'm wondering if it's still too big for its box.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

NO! It is not too big for anything. It is taking up the space it is meant to inhabit.
Self doubt...do any of us, especially those of us attempting to create, NOT suffer from that? I sincerely hope not as then I would feel particularly unworthy of even trying.

Dawn Potter said...

I don't know that it's self-doubt (and I'm not sure that self-doubt is a wholeheartedly bad thing anyway, though it can be situationally debilitating). More, I spent a lot of time arranging and rearranging manuscripts. Every iteration has strengths and weaknesses, and eventually I just have to choose. But my brain still keeps doing the work, even after the collection is "finished."

nancy said...

It is a remarkable poem, one that has drifted through my mind all day.