Tuesday, March 15, 2022

All week, the nights are forecast to be above freezing . . . not a lot above freezing, but these night shifts are the real bringers of garden change. The iron frost is loosening, the soil is softening and breaking up, and I expect to be planting radishes and arugula by the weekend.

Today, though, I doubt I'll even get a chance to rake. First thing, I've got to haul the lawnmower to the hardware store for sharpening. Then I've got to haul the cat to the vet for shots. Then I have to do some prep for my upcoming chapbook class. Then I've got to work with my high school poet. And then it will be 5 p.m. and time to shift to cooking duties.

I am feeling better, though my eyes are still quite tired and twitchy. It was good to spend an hour or so outside in the garden yesterday, raking and pruning and inspecting and not staring at any pages or screens.

By the way, tomorrow I'll be reading here in Portland, with my writing salon friends Maureen Thorson and Meghan Sterling: 6 p.m., Trinity Episcopal Church on Forest Avenue. It would be lovely to see you.

No comments: