Friday, January 14, 2022

Six a.m. in the little northern city by the sea. Coffee and tulips and a brisk wind.

Yesterday morning I edited and worked on website stuff; then went for a walk to buy a loaf of bread; then welcomed my friend Angela and unpacked my meat boxes and ate lunch together and visited with her and with the other lamb buyers. It recalled the old days, in Harmony, when we ran a food co-op and had intense box-unpacking/visiting sessions every other month. A chance for everyone to crawl out of the woods and blink under the social lights.

Today, more of the same, without the friendly afternoon. I suppose I should go to the grocery store so I don't have to deal with that tomorrow, when the temp will be 5 degrees. I've got chapbook contest manuscripts to read, and I imagine doing some writing, but we'll see. The "more important" desk chores are sucking me into the maw.

But overall I'm feeling peppy. The niggly things are getting done, and it's Friday, and Paul and I spent yesterday evening confabulating about how I might be able to see the show he'll be working backstage on (D. H. Lawrence's The Daughter-in-Law) as well as the Broadway Macbeth (with Daniel Craig). I'm all of a-flutter about watching a trained Royal Shakespearean do Shakespeare. I've only ever seen those Brit bigwigs in filmed versions. Plus, the Lawrence play is supposed to be remarkable.

3 comments:

nancy said...

I miss food co-op days! The flurry of phone calls when the truck backed in, the camaraderie of diverse neighbors unpacking and sorting, always going home with something extra (an box of fruit leather or pound of mung beans or bag of those really hard tortilla chips). Good times. We've made our lives easier in so many ways, but also poorer . . .

Dawn Potter said...

Yes! And everyone trying to avoid being the person who had to break down 25 pounds of sticky hard raisins into 1 pound bag. . . .

nancy said...

Oh -- I forgot about the raisins (and there were ALWAYS raisins)!