Saturday, December 11, 2021

Yesterday I did not write at all (other than my morning note to you and my dream-book transcription). I had too many other regular-life things to get done: mostly vacuuming and mopping and multiple loads of heavy laundry and present-wrapping and -shipping. But taking a day off from being a poet was fine because I was pretty tired. I did make four new drafts this week, and garble together some notions about sentences and fragments as impetus for thought, and begin to glimpse a thematic path forward among these very new poems, and adopt the word histoire as a narrative carapace, and read and read and read. That's a ton of work, in just four days.

My plan for today is to go into town and do a little Christmas shopping at used bookstores and junk shops and such, but the weather is supposed to be a mix of rain-sleet-snow, so the road conditions may defeat me. Otherwise, I've got chicken stock to simmer, and squash rolls to bake, and my study to clean, and a library book to pick up. I want to walk out into the gloaming and look at the Christmas lights. I want to cut a few more stalks of kale from my garden before winter closes it down for good.

Here's a list of goals . . . my goals. You have different ones, I know.

Obligation as generative flame. Pattern as vocation. Difficulty as a tower stair. The vibration of the present, muffling regret and envy and fear. Honesty and invention. Eyes on the world. 

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Last paragraph!!!

I, too have so many things on my TO-DO list. There are several poemlets twinning around my feet, not unlike the two cats hurricaning around the house.
Painting more Christmas cards,
cooking things for future inspiration
finish book
ORGANIZE that draft for tomorrow's Bards of the Barn Zoom

Travel Easy on your To-Doing today