Thursday, February 4, 2021

Yesterday I made my way through about a third of a friend's poetry manuscript and revised two short essays, and now this morning I'm feeling pleased with myself for having made something of the day, even in the midst of uproar.

Today I'll work more on the poetry ms, and I guess I'll probably have to go grocery-shopping as well. Blah. It would be nice to have an oven again. My powers of invention are beginning to wane, and I'm getting tired of stovetop everything.

Oh, well. I am not going to repine over such a minor inconvenience. To paraphrase Alice: I've seen inconveniences compared to which this is an oligarch's yacht. [Yes, the sentence structure is just as awkward in the original.]

No exercise class this morning, so I don't have to rush around trying to get all the house chores done before I torment myself for half an hour. Actually, the torment is getting more manageable. I won't say that I'm having fun, but I am getting stronger.

I'll leave you with one of my Accident Sonnets.


Accident Sonnet #4

 

Dawn Potter


I tried on a new linen shirt and then

spilled tea on it. I put on my old

 

clogs and staggered down the stairs. I

stuffed work pants into the washing

 

machine but forgot to hang them up.

I boiled six eggs and they

 

cracked. I  let the cat in and I

let the cat out.

 

Three seagulls circled above me. Their wings

cut the sky like harrows.

 

It’s one

of those days

when everything

is tinged with blue.

1 comment:

David (n of 49) said...

'Cut the sky like harrows'; 'when everything / is tinged with blue.' Love it. Thanks for posting.