Sunday, August 23, 2020

 



Yesterday, with trepidation, I bought two expensive plants: a small ornamental maple for the back garden and a white rose-of-sharon for a sunny corner by the street. It's nerve-wracking, how pricy shrubs and trees are, given how many things can go wrong. But I had to make a start, especially in the back yard, so today Tom and I will wrangle with roots and compacted soil and create a good start for the little maple with fresh compost and plenty of water.

Late afternoon I installed the rose-of-sharon in its sunny corner, and it looks pretty happy.

 
The little maple will go in a mixed sun-and-shade patch, near where the deck will be (someday). Next up in my back-garden purchases will be a row of compact rhododendrons, for the deep shade along the fence line.

So that was my exciting day: big plants. Meanwhile, the boys went canoeing down the tidal Mousam River in Kennebunkport, and came home salty and sunburned, with tales of marvelous birds.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

"with tales of marvelous birds" what a great title that would be..
It puts me in mind of Anne Lamott Bird By Bird

Happy looking garden