Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Yesterday the so-called president announced that he'll be coming to Maine on Friday to tour a plant in Guilford that makes the medical swabs being used for Covid tests. Guilford is very close to Harmony, where I lived for so many years, and to Monson, where I still teach. So I am appalled. In the midst of such anguish and unrest, not to mention the terrible management of our public health emergency, this monster decides to drop in on poor rural America and flash his bad credit.

The governor has asked him, point-blank, not to come to Maine. And of course he may get scared off and decide to retreat back into his bunker. We are seriously considering driving up as a family to take part in protests against his visit, though I suspect figuring out the timing of his arrival will be difficult. I don't know what we'll end up doing, but I am so angry.

Big demonstration in Portland yesterday, where the police here are behaving responsibly enough, as far as I can tell. Chicago is a mess of looting, and my son stayed up all night listening to the police scanner and trying to track activity by the sound of sirens. He is anxious to be part of a peaceful protest, equally anxious to have nothing to do with the looting chaos, which seems to involve a distinctly different group of people. He'll call me this morning and update me on whatever he knows.

Deep breath, deep breath.

1 comment:

Maureen said...


D.C. is chaotic and the firepower assembled there by our wonderful AG is extraordinary. Plus they have now shut off streets, effectively creating an armed compound in which to corral the monster. Unfortunately, the monster keeps braking out, doing his appalling photo ops, and generally creating mayhem. And people thought "The Joker" was a bad guy!

One thing is certain: He is totally tone deaf.

My nephew in Florida lives on a street where things were torched (he's younger than your son) and my currently close proximity to Georgetown (across Key Bridge in Arlington) had me up till after 1:00 a.m., thanks to the sirens, gun shots, tear gas, and concussion bombs or flash bangs - whatever they call them. 1968 all over again in some ways.