Thursday, June 11, 2020


This Reine de Saba cake was one of several good things that happened yesterday. The best news was that James's Covid test came back negative. Also, I bought pants that fit and are actually cute, and Paul marinated and grilled chicken breasts for dinner. Plus, I got an excellent night's sleep, and it's raining. But the swooniest thing that happened was the email announcing that I'm a finalist for a major, major poetry prize. I'm not supposed to announce any details on social media, so I won't mention the name of the prize or which manuscript made the cut. And of course I'm sure I won't win; I never win anything. But this is by far the highest-profile short list I've ever been on. I can hardly believe it. [As confirmation of how exciting this is: so far I've told two poet friends the news, and both responded with "Holy shit!"]

Today I've got two Zoom meetings in the morning and (gasp) a haircut appointment in the afternoon. Yes, I'm going to wear my new cute pants and actually go out into the world for selfish purposes. I can hardly wait.

Oh, I forgot the other wonderful thing that happened to me. This poem:


Sonnet 29

Rainer Maria Rilke

Silent friend of the many distances,
feel how your every breath enlarges space.
Amid the rafters of dark belfries
let yourself peal. Whatever feeds on you

is taking strength from such fare.
Know every path through transformation.
That one experience at the core of your sorrow?
If drinking is bitter, become wine.

In this night of fire and excess, stand
as magic power at your senses’ crossroads,
be the meaning of their strange encounter.

And if the earthly should forget you,
say to the silent loam: I flow.
To the rushing water speak: I am.


[from Sonnets to Orpheus, trans. Edward Snow]

6 comments:

nancy said...

When will you know about the prize? So happy for you! Yay poetry!
The Rilke poem is (no word seems right) wonderful.

Ruth said...

All my poetic fingers crossed
and crossing for you!!

Carlene Gadapee said...

I love the word "swooniest"--

May you (and we all) have those moments. =)

Dawn Potter said...

The winners will be announced in the fall. I'm not holding my breath. Just getting this far feels great!

David (n of 49) said...

Ditto what Ruth and Carlene said!!!

Maureen said...

I'm just reading this post, Dawn. What wonderful news! You deserve the recognition.