Monday, June 8, 2020


Our mantle might suggest that we're decorating for a wedding, but really this was a peony rescue mission. The bush was massive this year, and a thunderstorm trounced it. Believe it or not, there's another big vase of rescued flowers in the kitchen, and the bush even has a few blooms left on it.


Here's a close-up of chamomile in flower, just before I started harvesting for tea. I don't love the taste of chamomile, but it is a good soporific.

Yesterday I made sandwich bread and mango ice cream and injera and guacamole, and cleaned the house, and tried unsuccessfully to achieve a full night's sleep. Thus the interest in chamomile.

In the meantime, I'll be back to editing today. I have a poetry group meeting tonight, which I hope I can stay awake for. Paul says he's making spicy Thai shrimp soup for dinner.

This letter to you is jerky and disjointed, but so am I this morning. I feel like a human grocery list.

But the flowers are soothing.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Human grocery list
Yes, indeed, as I go through all the tiny "have-to's" each day and feel accomplished, trying not to think of the "want-to's" that somehow I imagine as more valuable.
With Space and Grace

Daisy said...

Human grocery list clicked with me immediately! My lists are never in line with store placement it is a scattershot of what comes to mind when I'm near the list. That's how my brain feels these days. I am going to steal it and use it going forward. Thank you.